System and Service Quality
The System and Service Quality Group focuses on the analysis of performance, reliability, security, scalability, and availability of complex systems, such as distributed systems, communication networks, and biological systems. The design, deployment, and long-term maintenance of these systems is a complex task, which requires a combination of multiple competencies to reach the required quality levels.
Aspects such as resilience (capacity of maintaining the system quality levels) as well as sustainability (maintaining the quality level over a broad time horizon) are fundamental to the systems our society relies on. The System and Service Quality Group targets novel solutions to keep connected systems and services operational today and in the future, bringing the results of its expertise and skills to society.
Main research areas
Our research focuses on the performance, reliability, security, scalability, and availability of technical and biological systems. The activity of the group includes a set of competencies, which apply to several practical problems.
In terms of methodologies, the System and Service Quality Group focuses on:
Performance evaluation: analytical methods and models for complex systems' design and evaluation, development of tools and methodologies supporting systems' modeling, verification and performance evaluation.
- Models and performance evaluation of mobile networks, edge and fog computing
- Methods for evaluating and optimizing energy consumption
- Quantitative and qualitative model checking
- Stochastic verification
- Safety of intelligent systems
- Autonomous driving & human safety
Bioinformatics and computational biology
- Algorithms for medical genomics and personalized medicine
- Multi-omics data integration methods
- Security of distributed systems
- Threat analysis of digital systems
- Automation of security activities, adversarial security
These methods are then in key application areas.
Systems Biology and Computational Epidemiology
- Epidemiological models
- Models for disease progression and treatment response
- Modeling, development, and testing of ADAS components
- Driving simulation and Driver Monitoring Systems technologies
- Internet security, applications on industrial and large-scale systems
- Protection of cyber-physical systems
- Privacy, anonymity, and trust
- Sustainable and continuous system operation
- 3GPP-like systems (5G and beyond) performance evaluation
- Optimization of critical distributed applications
- Flow management in mixed Cloud/Edge computing system
- Energy-aware networking